30 March 2019

Poem - Stepping over Tween (5 Jan 2006)

This poem was written about making choices to overcome childhood sexual abuse. It came at a pivotal time in my life. Two years before, I had lost both my parents suddenly within a span of three weeks. This proved to be one of many paradigm shifts in my adult life. I realized I was a survivor, not a victim. And I set myself on a road to self-discovery, self-understanding, and self-love that I continue to explore to this day.

It's also a befitting new year poem.

The day dawned essential
And the sun yawned
Silver grey fog breath
For an empty winter land.

A lot can happen
Tween sunrise and sunset:
Countless breaths
And infinite heartbeats.

On a cusp I stand
Tween this age and that;
The year behind sighs
The year ahead keeps its breath.

All it takes is a thought
Tween choice and resignation;
Choice isn't always a well-lit road,
Resignation is a familiar friend.

But if the phoenix can rise from ashes
Tween heaven and earth,
Light its soul in flames,
And climb to exaltation,

Then I have only to find
Tween memory and dream
A road to forget the one
And the gate to open the other.

The night ends essential
And the moon cries
Silent hopeful tears
For a new flowered spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment