30 March 2019

Introspection on 5 Oct 2016

Somewhere along the way, maybe because I realized it didn't change anything or because it was self-destructive, I stopped thinking so much about other's journeys, and started focusing on my own. While I thought of ways others could live better, I was not thinking about every aspect of how I could live better. While I wondered what role I'd play in others' journeys, I was acting like a stunt double in my own journey. And along with these worries and wonders of how others are journeying through life, I spent some time wondering how they looked at me, what they thought of me.

As if any of that mattered! Could I change someone simply because I felt their journey was destructive or less than effective? Could I do that without their willingness to change? Could I do that when even I still had destructive and ineffective side trips in my own journey? I could do all that but it goes nowhere. I do not grow. Others do not grow simply because I wish them to. I dodge self-improvement in my quest to improve others. And viewing oneself through the eyes of others has merit but it should be done objectively and not be used a benchmark for life. It's all a messy, slippery slope.

It always boils down to the fact that the only person you can ever truly be responsible for changing is yourself. The only thing in life you can control is yourself, your actions, your feelings, your emotions, your reactions - you, you as a glorious, curious, intelligent, mindful package. That you can control, change, guide, counsel.

And if your actions cause ripple effects that touch others' journeys positively, how wonderful. If not, so be it. And if others' actions touch me with positive ripples, how wonderful. If not, so be it...I still always have my own path.

No comments:

Post a Comment